1. Ask for recommendation letters from 2 teachers before school ends this year.
2. Order 2-3 sealed copies of your transcript to apply for summer 2017 college recruitment and Fall Fly In programs.
5. Start your college application essays now. Complete your essays before Labor Day 2017. The Common Application prompt is now live.
6. Clean up your social media. Admissions offices will google you.
7. Make your college list using the following books: The Fiske Guide, The Hidden Ivies, A Review of 50 Public University Honors Programs, Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be, Colleges That Change Lives, The Alumni Factor: A Revolution in College Rankings, and 50 Colleges That Create Futures.
8. Refine your college list using online college rankings including: US News, Forbes, Money’s Best Colleges, Washington Monthly College Rankings, Brookings Institution Rankings Based on Graduate’s Salaries, the Economist, The Alumni Factor, The 50 Best Colleges for African-Americans, and the College Scorecard Federal Government Ranking Website
9. Search online for rankings that measure issues important to you: college major, single sex colleges, HBCUs, location, climate, school size, athletics, etc.
10. Update your resume.
11. Start visiting schools over the summer.